Saturday, May 19, 2012

Damselflies in Pensacola

 I recently moved to Pensacola to go back to school and I've only started to explore the nature trails around here. This morning I went to the Edward Ball Nature Trail, which is right next to the UWF campus. There's a nice boardwalk through the woods there and it leads to a place for people to ride their mountain bikes, which I haven't been to yet.

The first six photos here were taken with my 105mm macro lens in P mode, which tends to choose a low F number like 2.8. I found I got better photos of the skink with a higher number, such as 13 though. The nice thing about P mode is that if you don't like the settings the camera chooses, you can roll the click wheel and get different settings that should have the same level of exposure.

I took a number of photos of the damselflies on this trail. These metallic blue ones are larger than the ones I usually see in South Florida.








Skinks like this one are very common on this trail. I mostly just heard them running through the leaves when I approached, but this one stayed put long enough for me to take a photo.

These photos of this slow-moving stream were taken with my 18-55mm zoom lens, which was the kit lens that came with my camera.



A Magnolia flower. I tweaked the colors a bit in Photoshop for this one.

2 comments:

  1. I like the photos, its nice to see what it is like where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog during a Google Image Search looking for pics of the UWF campus's beautiful natural surroundings, and wow! Great photos you've taken, some of the best I've come across in my search. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete