Saturday, October 15, 2011

Night Blooming Cereus

Last night, the night blooming cereus bloomed. These are cacti that hang from palm trees, and they're where dragonfruit come from. Usually when ours grow dragonfruit, racoons end up eating them. The fruit is sweet but kind of bland, and they have a very striking appearance. If you buy them in the store, they are expensive.

I decided to take some photos of the flowers because the air was still. They're very large, pretty flowers, but it's kind of pointless to try to take a photo of them if there's wind, as your photo will be blurry, and if you use the flash the white petals can get all overexposed and then your photo looks too bright and too low in contrast. So here's my photo, of the inside of the flower. I used a flashlight to shine light into the flower from the side, and used an 8 second exposure. I used f/25 because I wanted a wide depth of field, so all the parts of the flower would be focused as well as possible.

1 comment: