Saturday, September 24, 2011

Life on a Lantana bush

A couple of months ago I found a nice 105mm Sigma macro lens at a pawn shop. It's great for taking photos of bugs and small things like that, especially using its very smooth manual focus. Here are some photos I took today using that lens on my T1i, which I supported with a monopod.

I edited them a bit (crop and resize, mostly) in Irfanview and Photoshop.


This butterfly was drinking nectar from Lantana flowers before a thunderstorm.

If you view this image at full resolution, you can actually see some mites on the butterfly's proboscis.

This snail was taking advantage of the damp conditions after the rain.

On a different Lantana bush after the thunderstorm, I found several mosquitoes. Some of them bit me, while others were more interested in immature Lantana flowers. 

1 comment: